I know that’s not how the song (poem?) goes, but for me, the gradual creeping-in of autumn is as eagerly anticipated as the advent of spring is for most. My basil has gone to flower, the leaves getting less lush and more spindly in the heat; everything outside is done to the accompaniment of the buzz of cicadas. Everything is starting to look less fresh and lush and more weary and uncomfortably hot. Much like I feel. Summer’s last hurrah.
Today is cooler; it’s one of those delightful, grey, drizzly reprieves in August where the outside temperature only gets up to about 72F/22C. Not cool by any means, but so much more tolerable than the usual 95F/35C of August in Pennsylvania. We’ve got all of the downstairs air conditioners off and fresh air wafting through the house. And all of this makes me feel inside like it’s time to make things.
Lately, I’ve had something of an obsession with hand sewing. After all of these years of sewing via machine, and then via serger, and overcast machine… I’ve gone back to basic hand stitches. Inspired by Bernadette Banner on YouTube, I’ve bought some fine linen fabric and some linen and silk threads, and I’ve been starting small: handkerchiefs.
My mitered corners need work, but I’m pleased with my progress thus far.
One of my goals for 2019 has been to stop buying so many crafting supplies. Whether it be for knitting, sewing, or anything else, I’m swimming in supplies with precious little time to use them. Continue reading
Well, it wasn’t pretty, nor was it easy, but I persevered and managed to get the boys’ 2017 holiday pajamas done. The fabrics this year were from Joann Fabrics; the tops are hoodies made of a bright red fleece, and the bottoms are elastic-waist flannel pajama pants with a wintery penguin print. Photography is frustrating; the photograph makes the red look more vibrant than it really is, and makes the flannel print and the background look less vibrant than they really are. I promise that in person, it works. Continue reading
On this, the hottest weekend of the year, when it hit a heat index of 120 degrees just south in Dover, DE… Our central air broke. This wasn’t entirely unforeseen – it’s an old unit, definitely past the end of its expected lifespan – but that doesn’t make it any less beastly hot. So I did what anyone would do – made myself some hot-weather lounging clothes/pajamas. The tank top is a Stitch Upon a Time Versa-Cami – my recent favorite pattern for shelf bra camisoles. The shorts are Stitch Upon a Time Boxerwear for women – those will double as slip shorts underneath skirts and dresses for days I have to wear more than the bare minimum.
Ok, now I’m off to take a freezing cold shower and pray to the gods of central air.
I decided to bust out the sewing machine this afternoon and whip up a little t-shirt for Hoover, our four-month-old puppy. He’s a gnawing (and growing) machine, but the Mr. likes Hoover to be dressed up, so I figured I’d throw something together with stash fabric for funsies.
For a pattern, I looked to millamilla on Etsy. I’d used a free pattern from her website before, and found it easy to understand and assemble. This time, I splurged on the Dog Clothes 3-Way T-Shirt pattern. It came with two instant-download PDF files: the first being the pattern pieces, and the second being the instructions (or “recipe”). The pattern pieces printed on six pages, and I appreciated that thought was put into placing as many pieces as possible on each page so as not to waste my paper or ink. One minor issue I had was that I have an older inkjet printer that can’t handle printing to the very edge of the paper, so the pattern pieces occasionally went over the margins and I had to hand-draw some bits. Not a deal-breaker, but something you may want to consider if you have an older printer.
The instructions were clear and geared toward an advanced-beginner level sewist. It assumed that you had some basic techniques, such as easing in set-in sleeves. The pattern doesn’t require an overlock machine (serger), and for this iteration, I just used my handy-dandy regular machine (couldn’t be bothered to set up the serger, if I’m being honest), but for the next iteration, I’ll be using my serger. I feel like it would just give a better result and might even make some of the seams easier to sew.
I love the end result; in about two hours I had a cute, basic t-shirt that fit my dog perfectly. The pattern size lined up perfectly with his actual measurements, and the neck didn’t gape (an issue I’ve had with past dog t-shirts I’ve tried to make). I’ll definitely make this one again.